Thursday, July 9, 2009

Clean by His Word

I was reading John 15 during my family time this evening and was struck by this scripture:

John 15:3 - Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

What a powerful truth! By the word of Jesus, we are made clean.

I am reminded of how our bodies work. Each morning I take a shower and I am clean, as clean as a shower can make me anyway! Throughout the day my body releases toxins and other waste, and I may touch things that make me dirty like when I work in the garden. By the end of the day, I am in need of cleansing again. Even if I didn’t work in the garden, or clean the fireplace, or do something that got me dirty, I am still in need of cleansing because my own self makes me dirty! And lets not even talk about what happens after a few days without a shower!

So is it with our souls. Even if we do not have a major setback and give in to temptation, we are still in need of cleansing and renewal from the only place that can clean us... Jesus Christ. One of my favorite scriptures 1 John 1:9 says that if we confess our sin, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I have found that just being in the presence of God provides cleansing and renewal. When I spend time worshiping him in my living room, or in church, I feel clean. But when I don’t spend time with Jesus each day, I start to feel like I would smell if I missed a shower! Not sick or tired, but not at all right!

Another one of my favorite scriptures is Psalm 53:10

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

11Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

12Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

Jesus is forgiveness. Jesus give us freedom from sin, Liberty! Jesus makes us brand new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers